04 May 2005

R. Crumb



Legendary 1960s cartoonist Robert Crumb was recently on NPR's "Fresh Air" (the red "LISTEN" icon plays the interview), and he's still as wimpy-but-cranky as ever. I always liked the style of his comics, but I didn't really realize how fascinating he was until I saw the documentary "Crumb," which shows a guy so damaged by his dysfunctional childhood that he'd probably be a sex criminal of some kind, if he hadn't found a way to release his demons through his art.

Crumb's official website is now run by his son Jesse, also featured in the documentary, and who is an artist is his own right (one who is, in many ways, more proficient than his dad).

I recently read another interview with Crumb where he commented on his move to France (where he still lives) in the 1990s. Paraphrasing from memory, he said, "At home I was considered a commentator on American culture. Over here, I can't ever tell what the hell anyone's saying." I actually hope he and Aline move back to the U.S. soon, since the U.S. has gotten about as weird and twisted as any of his "comix" ever portrayed it.

5 Comments:

Blogger Lee H. said...

This is one of my favorite images of Crumb's, and it's fairly non-controversial, unless you're a realtor or a developer.

10:14 PM, May 04, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is a good one. It's kind of funny, though, for me and Crumb; I adore Crumb, and I adore comix, although, to be honest, a lot of Crumb's stuff doesn't really click with me. It's more something I can appreciate rather than enjoy. But he hisself is really interesting. And I actually just picked up one of his albums on my trip, so that's cool! Good timing, I suppose!

6:27 AM, May 05, 2005  
Blogger Lee H. said...

I love a lot of his stuff... not so much the hippie humor (even though he was never a hippie- weird, that) but I love stuff like this drag racer pic. I love the exaggerated feel of it. (I've always had a fascination with drag racing, too.) I would buy one of these in a heartbeat if I had anywhere to hang it. :)

9:27 PM, May 05, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hm, yeah -- I think I tend to prefer Crumb's artwork over his comix; for example, the stuff from the film I was the most into was when he'd show off his sketchbooks. I mean, some of his comix work I dig (especially his work with Harvey Pekar), but for the most part, it's his art which is pretty keen to me.

9:37 PM, May 05, 2005  
Blogger CatsFive said...

Lee, time to build an addition to the house!

I still like this poster. I find myself especially attracted to art that exposes the hollow-ness of modern/American life.

8:33 AM, May 06, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home