07 March 2006

Follow the thread....

From SimCity to The Sims to this... Spore (official preview site, kinda sucks), a game which starts at the cellular level, literally in the primordial ooze, and lets you evolve your own creatures.



Better yet, they live in a world inhabited by creatures that OTHER players have evolved in their own games. Atlanta-boy-done-good Wil Wright gives an amazing demonstration of the game here (Google video, watch this one!!!), with a longer speech here about procedural content... defining actions instead of objects, as I understand it. (This is exactly how The Sims and The Sims 2 work- the game defines the actions, but the player sets up the environment and the characters which inhabit it.)

As if I wasn't already addicted to all of Wright's sim-creations... this looks so addictive, I'm scared for my job.

1 Comments:

Blogger CatsFive said...

It took me a couple days to finally get through ALL of this one movie, thanks to all the distractions of everything, etc., but... all I have to say is, WOW-- this game looks like it's going to be the biggest TIME SINK in the world! It's awesome. I have seen screensavers like this, but... to go all the way through to CITIES and WAR all the way from a simple bacteria-sized animal... sheesh!

5:07 PM, March 09, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home