18 December 2005

Hippocamp Ruins Sgt. Peppers

After Pet Sounds, they decided to do the most logical album next, which would end up being Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band. I'm listening to it now, and it seems all right -- not quite as good as Pet Sounds was -- almost like people are a little too worried to really tear apart the Beatles songs the way they did the Pet Sounds tracks, although there's not nearly as many returning artists as you'd expect. So far, I'd say it's worth the download, but if you're only going to get one, Pet Sounds. Easy. Pet Sounds. It's much less "safe" and, well, as such, way more interesting. Even when the experiments don't work, they stick in your head a bit more than these ones do. Perhaps they were worried since EMI seems to be much more litigious over the Beatles stuff than the Beach Boys stuff? I don't know. I just wish they'd gotten their hands a bit dirtier with this one, though. Ah well, 's still cool.

1 Comments:

Blogger Lee H. said...

I love the Pet Sounds one so I'll definitely check this new one out, as well.

I wonder if one reason this one isn't as successful is that the Beach Boys songs are so perfectly structured, whereas part of the strength of Sgt Pepper's is how it messed with established song styles and such right from the beginning?

10:49 AM, December 19, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home