18 June 2005

It's Raining, It's Pouring...


My friend Robbie's balcony


My friend Sarah's balcony


My friend Sarah's balcony, night

Literally. Pouring. Now, I wouldn't normally post on this blog that it's raining here-- unless it was an exceptional amount of rain, literally, the most rain we've had in the past 103 years. The last time we had this much rain was in 1902, when we had 224mm. The average rainfall for June is 79.8 mm, but Calgary has already had 165 mm this month alone. So far, we are on track to receive as much rain this June as we normally get ALL YEAR. Even the mountains are closing (well, it's recommended you stay out of the back country, they say). Several highways, including the Trans-Canada west of Calgary, have been closed because of flooding.

I just drove home (on my Vespa) from breakfast in the rain, and as I sit here, it's blowing and beating on my office window so loudly, it feels as though I'm sitting in a car in a car wash.

Up there are some recent pix (within the last day or so) of the rain-- click on them for bigger photos! On a hunch, I checked out Flikr for some recent photos of the rain.

6 Comments:

Blogger CatsFive said...

This just in ... Calgary has declared a first-- a local rainfall emergency!

10:26 PM, June 18, 2005  
Blogger Lee H. said...

From what you have said, I can tell this is actually a serious situation, but that photo of the park bench in the news story you just linked is hilarious... "It's ankle deep! Wade for your lives!" :D

Is that second pic in the pics you posted (Sarah's balcony) a stitched-together panoramic pic? The curve of the balcony railing is sweet.

We're having our first pretty weekend here, after about a month of rain and gloom. We also hit the 90s for the first time this week... it's almost summer! :D

10:49 PM, June 18, 2005  
Blogger Lee H. said...

And BTW, welcome, CatCiao... awesome username! :D

10:51 PM, June 18, 2005  
Blogger CatsFive said...

He/she/it should have said "ciao, ciao, ciao!" LOL (meow mix) (a gay lesbian club in NYC).

We had a weird colour in the sky tonight... a bit of pink, a bit of blue, something to contrast with the grey...

3:09 AM, June 19, 2005  
Blogger Rev. Syung Myung Me said...

I like CatCiao, too! That is an amusing name.

Also, those are neato pictures. It's always neat when there's a bunch of rain -- at least when it's still "a bunch of rain" and not "a flood". We have that type of thing sometimes, but lately it's been really mild. I suppose I could take pictures, but there's not much to take pictures of, heh.

Oh, in Vacation Pictures News, we _did_ get the disposable camera into the car to be developed! That's a start! (We forgot to bring the digital camera so we had to get one of film.)

12:27 PM, June 19, 2005  
Blogger CatsFive said...

Film? What's film?

Today was a GREAT, sunny day, and I just got back from riding around Calgary with my other Vespa friend Brad, going up and down the Bow River, taking pictures. I'll post this as soon as I'm all prepared!

6:10 PM, June 19, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home