08 January 2006

Pop Song Poll

Since probably the lamest thing I could possibly do is link to one of my own LiveJournal posts, here goes! Anyway, I think I mentioned this in a comment, but a week or so ago, I did an LJ poll for people to mention what they think of as the Most Perfect Pop Songs. (I thought that it'd accept non-LJ people to post, too, but as Lee can attest, not so much...) Anyway, though, I ended up posting the results this morning, so take a look! (And feel free to add some in the comments, as I _KNOW_ those will accept anonymous folks).

I was pretty impressed with some of the choices, as some of them were ones that I just forgot about (like "America" by Simon & Garfunkel, which I love), and some of the ones I'd never heard of (the track by Robot, "Ne Poussez Pas Meme Dans les Orties" by Chorus Reverendus). I've always been into pop music like this, and sometimes there really isn't a greater joy than just some really perfect pop song.

Anyway -- I think the plan (at least in weird, nebulous mode) is to see about getting everyone to write a little bit on all the songs they agree with and posting a sort of online compilation of these. But I'm not certain on that. Perhaps it'll just remain a big old list. Though it'd be cool if people wanted to write stuff about these songs. Because that's the kind of thing I get off on is finding out about what makes things click for other people, even if they do not click with me (I mean, come on, Madonna?).

So, whaddyathink, sirs?

4 Comments:

Blogger Lee H. said...

Hmm, your link gives me this:

Sorry...
We're currently experiencing some technical difficulties. Please try again in a few moments.


Which I will do. I was going to vote for "Good Vibrations" if I could've ever gotten the poll to work. :)

4:59 PM, January 08, 2006  
Blogger Rev. Syung Myung Me said...

It's workin' for me -- try reloading? Sometimes LJ does that...

5:05 PM, January 08, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It worked that time... very cool list! I'm suprised to see how many of those I haven't heard. Also, ABBA's "S.O.S." is a great choice for 2nd place- that's definitely an archetypal pop song.

2:19 PM, January 09, 2006  
Blogger Rev. Syung Myung Me said...

Yeah; it's really interesting to see what folks chose. I'm not sure how to do the order if I go the online-compilation route. Whether or not to just try to go for flow, or to do it like "First place" together, "second place" together, or what. Probably the former though. But yeah -- it's kind of interesting.

Speaking of which, the other day at Tower, I saw a copy of a Trevor-Horn Produced-By Best-Of Type Thing. Seemed to be pretty itneresting, actually. I don't think there was anything rare on it, but it was still a pretty neat comp. And I didn't know he'd done anything with Shane MacGowan!

8:16 AM, January 10, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home