23 January 2006

The American Astronaut



OK, I really want to see this. In fact, I wish that Herzog space movie Rev. saw was available in some form, because I'd love to see it and this movie in a double feature. From the review of The American Astronaut on notcoming.com:
But the most remarkable scene occurs in a floating barn, where Curtis and the Boy decide to take refuge. Inside, the two encounter the leader of that long-forgotten race of traveling silver-miners. Hidden in the darkness of space, we can barely see his decalcified body, thin and brittle from atrophy and bobbing like a worn-down marionette puppet on rickety strings.
I'm guessing Rev. knows this director (Cory McAbee) since he linked to the Billy Nayer Band (of which McAbee is a member, and who do the music for The American Astronaut) in that Herzog post earlier. Have you, or anyone else reading this, ever seen this movie?

2 Comments:

Blogger Rev. Syung Myung Me said...

I think I actually messaged you on plastic about this back in the day! Anyway, though -- it is EXCELLENT. I ADORE this film -- before it came out on DVD, I'd seen it about 3 or 4 times, and the only way to see it was to hope it showed up near you. And more times since it came out on DVD.

I suppose the Herzog The Wild Blue Yonder might work as a double feature, but I think a better touchstone is probably David Lynch's more comedy-based stuff. (Or maybe the Bruce McCulloch short films from Kids In The Hall, like, say, sausages).

Seriously, Cory McAbee is an excellent director -- check out the DVD of his shorts (titled The Billy Nayer Show: The Early Years), too. I wrote a review thingy of them here. I've been constantly intending to do a piece on The American Astronaut, but I haven't gotten around to it yet. The thing is, though, it is SO good. Particularly the graphic design elements of it, too -- I hesitate to spoil it, really. But yeah -- you absolutely, positively MUST see this film.

All y'all.

It's one of my favorites, up there with Save The Green Planet in the stack o' films everyone must see RIGHT NOW.

MAN.

(and the Billy Nayer Show records are good, too. And I just found out, apparently they're playing X-Day This Year. Neato!)

11:30 PM, January 23, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I knew you'd have seen it. :) Your recommendation has me all fired up for it now... heh heh!

11:29 AM, January 24, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home