11 October 2005

Stop pre-approved credit card offers

This is not the kind of thing we normally post here, but I thought y'all might be able to benefit from this (I know Arn and I can): a handy link I just picked up from Clark Howard's website.

Optoutprescreen.com lets you opt out of pre-approved credit card offers for 5 years, or forever. (more in the complete post)

You can also opt back in later, if you want, although you're better off using a site like cardweb.com if you're shopping for a credit card.

I know from working on so many identity theft stories at CNN that these offers are a huge source of identity theft crimes... all someone has to do is fish one of your discarded forms out of the trash, and send it in, changing the address to their own. (This was the primary reason we bought a document shredder, and run ALL of this kind of junk mail through it.)

As Clark Howard points out, stopping these offers is especially important if you're about to move, otherwise whoever moves into your old address is going to keep receiving YOUR pre-approved credit card offers.

So... consider this an OST PSA. :)


4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interestingly, my last few credit card bills had this same option presented in the latter part of the bill. I believe that all you had to do was check the opt-out box and send in your bill... I'll hafta to pay closer attention to next month's statements to see if the offer's still there.

6:02 PM, October 12, 2005  
Blogger Lee H. said...

Now that's interesting.... I'll have to check on my next one, as well. I wonder if that would cover all of the companies, though, or just the company you're currently with?

9:52 PM, October 12, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Identity theft stories make me crying. Once I had moved but firstly informed my credit company about the fact beause I am so afraid that my credit card info and even more can be stolen.

1:54 AM, August 15, 2007  
Blogger Opra said...

Unfortunately,many people face the problem of identity theft very often. And I can say that all we can do is to be very careful with our credit cards and probably your post will be helpful for many people.

4:11 AM, December 21, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home