03 August 2005

Bangs, Bowie, Kraftwerk and Creem

I recently picked up a book I've been wanting to read for years: Lester Bangs' Psychotic Reactions and Carburetor Dung, a collection of Bangs' writings including the title essay.



So far, it's been a hoot, and great for reading while stuck at airports. Bangs' music tastes overlap with mine in a lot of ways, but also cross them in a lot of ways, and both are about equally entertaining. So far, my favorites have been his review of a David Bowie concert, and an interview with Ralf and Florian of Kraftwerk, apparently right before the release of Trans-Europe Express. With the latter, I'm honestly stumped as to whether he liked Kraftwerk or not... I sort of think he did, but it can be hard to tell with Bangs' sarcastic style.

And something I found while looking up the two essays for this post- who the hell knew Creem Magazine was back and had an online presence? Not me. I wonder if R. Crumb knows.

3 Comments:

Blogger Rev. Syung Myung Me said...

That Kraftwerk one was really cool; I've only read very little of Lester Bangs' stuff, but that was excellent. I liked the Wikipedia article about the titular (and title) essay; I'm thinking I might have to pick up that book, actually.

On the topic of R. Crumb, a few days ago I got the R. Crumb Handbook that just came out, although I have to say that I got it for the CD -- I think I might be the only person who actually prefers Crumb's music to his comix...8)

7:21 PM, August 03, 2005  
Blogger Rev. Syung Myung Me said...

(Also, this has nothing to do with anything, but I don't know if it really warrants a stand-alone post, but a friend of mine has his own mp3 blog and he just posted this song by Family Fodder, and I'm thinkin' it might be up folks' alleys. It's pretty keen!

7:25 PM, August 03, 2005  
Blogger Lee H. said...

I think I might be the only person who actually prefers Crumb's music to his comix

I think this is very very likely. :)

9:36 AM, August 04, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home