25 July 2005

A couple of examples of Self-Promotion (And we all know how painful those can be...)

I'm gonna do somethin' I rarely do here and plug a couple things I'm workin' on. (So, let the booing and calls of "sell out" commence!)

First off -- every Monday I've been posting mp3s to Phancy.Com, which isn't my site or anything, but run by a cool guy who asked me to -- I wouldn't normally plug it here, HOWEVER, this week I uploaded a cut from the new Ween release, Shinola, and OH MAN it is GOOD. So, totally check it out. It's just one of those really mindblowing songs. (The other track is a pretty awesome Stereolab song, too, but yeah; also, as far as I know, the previous weeks' mp3s are still live, so you might poke backwards and check those out, too. And check out the rest of his blog; it's really cool, and he'd done a lot of cool stuff, like The Futurama Panoramas linked at Memepool a while ago (though, contrary to what they said, he did them by hand, not with image stitching software). (If you just want the direct links to the mp3 posts, though, that's not nearly as fun, but: 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 6.5, 7, 8, 9.)

Also, I've been contributing to The High Weirdness Project, a Subgenius Wiki, and I've just put up something I wrote for TODCRA -- a guide to all the Residents Albums -- sort of like RzWeb, only with more of a reviewing aspect and less of a historical overview aspect. (Man, I love RzWeb, though. Before I got into the Residents, I read through every single page of RzWeb (it's laid out like a book! That's so useful!) and figured that even if I didn't like the records, the Residents were still pretty damn awesome. But then it turned out I liked the records, so, hey!) Anyway, though, yeah -- check through, and feel free to leave any Residents-record-advice you might have.

Hmmm... I think this particular case has passed -- hopefully I won't need to see the doctor! Now to go back to being bummed about being denied both DEVO and TMBG...

....

...

....

...oh, goddammit.

3 Comments:

Blogger Lee H. said...

Hey man! I'm JUST getting home and going thru my email and such, but I grabbed the Ween track, and you're right- it's AWESOME! :) I have always liked their funk songs the best anyway. I'm going to have to check this out- I have to admit I have been very mistrustful of Ween since the piece of crap that was Quebec.

Will hit the rest of these links in a bit, but man, sorry to hear about the Devo and TMBG shows. (Monty has probably seen TMBG more times than anyone else I know, BTW.)

2:10 PM, July 27, 2005  
Blogger Rev. Syung Myung Me said...

I actually liked Quebec, though it was a bit more uneven (although I'm thinking it was mainly due to Ween's Tough Times, since it was recorded when Claude was laid up -- which is why he doesn't appear on the record -- and Gener's marriage had failed and everything), but it did have some awesome, awesome stuff on it (I think that if you don't like "If You Could Save Yourself, You'd Save Us All", we can't be friends anymore). There's definitely some stuff that could have been trimmed from that record,though, but other stuff I warmed up to after a long time (stuff like "Captain" or "The Argus"). It's still the Ween record I listen to second-least, though (First being The Pod, which isn't bad, it's just a bit, um, overly long).

2:21 PM, July 27, 2005  
Blogger Lee H. said...

Well, I'll have to give some of the stuff on Quebec a second chance, I guess... I admit I tuned it out before I even learned the names of any of the songs. (I have to listen to an album for quite awhile before I start picking up on the individual song titles and such...)

12:56 PM, July 29, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home