22 May 2006

Danielson Ships


So, the album that has been rocking my world for the last week or so is called Ships, by Danielson. Danielson is the guy who usually calls himself Brother Danielson, of the Danielson Famile, though his real name is Daniel Smith. He produced Sufjan Stevens' best album, and now he's outdone himself with Ships, which is huge, noisy, playful, and incredibly joyful.



Not bad for a guy who often plays while dressed like a tree. (More in the complete post, incl. a couple of songs.)


Danielson's famously squeaky voice (often compared to a frenzied Muppet) has calmed down a bit on Ships, and his melodies have never been stronger or catchier. He's still writing songs about God, too, but they've gotten more mystical and less dogmatic, maybe taking a cue from labelmate and friend Sufjan Stevens. Here are three songs from Ships for y'all to check out:

...plus one from the Danielson Famile, for a little background and comparison (also, it's just a cool tune):

Like usual, these links will work for seven days. Let me know what you think of the songs!

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

My five-year-old wants to marry you for sharing these. And I've figured out what to buy for her upcoming birthday! Hooray!

(Usually I don't sound this dim, but you can take Rev. Me's word that my sentences get short and fragmented when I am excited.)

11:25 PM, May 23, 2006  
Blogger Lee H. said...

That's a cool five-year-old you've got there! :D Glad you like- I hope you both get as much fun out of 'em as I have been.

8:14 AM, May 24, 2006  
Blogger Lee H. said...

Here's a great review of the album- I wanted to include this in the original post, but couldn't remember where I'd read it.

9:27 AM, May 25, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home