10 April 2006

Greenaway

This is mostly for Lee, but hey -- looks like this week a box set of Peter Greenaway's early stuff. I have to admit that I'm not really a Greenaway fan (though Windows is pretty good), but I have to admit that he is a gorgeous photographer. His composition is outstanding; it's a standard film-school cliche that you should be able to take any one frame of a film and be able to put it on your wall as an art print, but with Greenaway, it's actually true. And this does underline the great thing with DVD -- stuff like this is more readily available, with bonus stuff and explanatory material and everything.

And, on the other side of the coin, after being released on a special Big Box type edition, David Lynch's Dumbland just got released on normal DVD, too -- which is completely and utterly ugly, stupid and hilarious. It's not for everyone, but I love it. The only down side is that there were only 8 episodes, each only a few minutes long. Still, though, it's pretty hilarious.

4 Comments:

Blogger Lee H. said...

Hey! This is great! Thanks for the heads-up... these discs came out separately in Europe a couple of years ago, but I had no idea they were being issued here. Awesome. :)

The Falls is a brilliant, brilliant movie, and in some ways lays out the movies Greenaway would make for the next decade or more- a lot of the characters and stories are there in miniature.

Although most of this stuff was scored by Michael Nyman, I know "Vertical Features (Remake)" and parts of "The Falls" actually have music by Brian Eno.

I've never seen Lynch's "Dumbland"... is that animated? I HAVE seen "Rabbits," which is impenetrable, but still very good in its way.

7:29 AM, April 11, 2006  
Blogger Lee H. said...

Here's the site I should have used to link "The Falls." I'm not completely awake yet. :)

7:35 AM, April 11, 2006  
Blogger Rev. Syung Myung Me said...

Dumbland is animated, crudely so. I think David Lynch actually did _everything_ on it, which is pretty cool. Granted, I think it is flash, but it's still pretty impressive, since he's David Lynch and all and probably has, you know, movies to make.

It's totally not for everybody -- it's his Stupid Sense Of Humor Concentrate. So, you know, if you liked On The Air but thought it should have been much farther over-the-top dumb, check it out.

(I thought it was hilarious, for what it's worth.)

7:51 AM, April 11, 2006  
Blogger Lee H. said...

My Greenaway DVDs arrived yesterday.. and I'm eternally grateful. :) Now my cinephobic friends have no excuse when I want them to watch "just a couple of minutes" of The Falls, since my old DVD was a Region 2 disc... heh heh!

11:41 PM, April 14, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home