27 March 2005

I (Heart) Huckabees

I orignally posted this as a "comment" on the Green Acres story you posted (I wish I could see those! They sound great).

Speaking of surreal, I just watched a movie last night called "I (heart) Huckabees" and I absolutely LOVED and I mean L-O-V-E-D it. It was absolutely MARVELLOUS.

The movie begins with this guy who's obsessed with and convinced that a seemingly innocuous "coincidence" is significant. He hires "Jeffers & Jeffers," an "Existential" Detective Agency (which, oddly enough, work on a "sliding scale"???). The detectives eventually get to the bottom of the coincidence's amazing deeper meaning by employing some rather odd and extremely ineffective-sounding investigative techniques (which include what has to be the worst grasp of "covert" surveillance I have ever seen).

My rating on the movie>? 9.5/10. It completely reminded me of "Being John Malkovich" in the pacing and strangeness of the overall premise, the lightning-fast pacing (which isn't driven by an overly-busy, mad-cap plot, but by the incredibly tight, super-structured dialog).

The result was absolutely magical. Mark Wahlberg puts in an awesome performance, as do Lily Tomlin and Dustin Hoffman. Word. Ride your bike to work.

In fact, I just looked at some reviews of the movie on Rotton Tomatoes and this movie is literally 50% down the middle. Some get it-- have playful, open minds, that is-- and some don't. I thought "The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou" would be my Rosetta Stone movie (you like it, you're "in" with me), but perhaps I could use this movie and that one together for a one-two punch. Like them both, and chances are, well, chances are you're probably already a member of this blog. Dont' like them, and well, still, I relish the idea of using these movies to torture the (living) dead.

Monty

2 Comments:

Blogger Lee H. said...

Aha, this is very cool... I bought this movie on DVD, but we haven't watched it yet. When it was in the theaters, the reviews were so negative I didn't give it a chance (stupid me). Also, the fact that the guy who directed Three Kings (one of my favorite movies) had done a comedy sounded dicey to me.

After Huckabees left the theaters, I started reading reviews that made me want to see it, so... now that you've recommended it, I'm going to have to check it out this week. :D

10:30 PM, March 27, 2005  
Blogger Lee H. said...

I intended to bring it to the LAST movie night, but Amazon was too slow getting it to me!

4:36 PM, March 28, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home