26 August 2005

Artificial Intelligence

A CD I never knew was gone is suddenly... back, in reissue form.



(more inside)

I think I probably bought the Warp Records sampler Artificial Intelligence back in 1992 just because both Aphex Twin and Alex Paterson (a.k.a. The Orb) were on it, two artists whose music I've always collected a bit obsessively.

Their tracks on this CD are still my favorites, but I have to say I hadn't played it in many years, when I read this review today and learned:

1. It's been re-released, and so has its sequel (which I never even knew about).

2. It may have been the beginning of a genre of music. I've always been so clueless about what's popular in music that no matter what I listen to, I tend to assume it's been around forever.

3. Autechre was on it! I got into them MUCH later, and only today realized they were even on this disc.

But whatever- it's a great compilation, come to think of it, and so kudos to Warp for making it available again. :)

3 Comments:

Blogger Rev. Syung Myung Me said...

Cool -- I've got the Warp Vision DVD set, which is pretty cool (though I think I might like the NinjaTune "ZenTV" comp better, but I tend to be into that stuff a little bit more, I think, anyway, so it's a bit of apples & oranges). But yeah -- I've got an Orb CD somewhere, I think; I got it because Jimmy Cauty from the KLF was in it, but I think the album I had (live/evil) was from after he'd left the band, so...8) (Speaking of which, I am a big KLF fan -- maybe moreso for their media work than their records, but the records are outstanding, too.)

Also -- I haven't forgotten about God's Angry Man, it's just sitting here -- and, due to early birthday celebrations, I got the Herzog/Kinski box set, which has Fitzcarraldo in it! (Also, My Best Fiend, which I've really wanted to see.) So, hooray for that, too!

12:09 PM, August 27, 2005  
Blogger CatsFive said...

It looks like you did the cover to this one! Nice.

5:30 PM, August 28, 2005  
Blogger Lee H. said...

That Herzog box set sounds SWEET! :) And, happy b-day!

And yeah, Monty, that cover kind of reminds me of some of my artwork, too. :D But that album came out before I'd even gotten started with Bryce!

7:21 PM, August 28, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home