13 April 2006

My Mix In The Bush Of Ghosts



okay, so I'm jumping the gun a little.. the remix section isn't up and running yet, but then I'm jumping the gun on even mentioning that too!

here's the story... (read the complete post!)


"My Life In The Bush Of Ghosts" was the way-way ahead of it's time album, put together by Brian Eno & David Byrne. it was released in 1981, though in fact was even more ahead of it's time than that, in that while it had been recorded prior to the Talking Heads "Remain In Light", it had been put on hold so that album could be the first release. (aside: I remember being particularly impressed that Iggy Pop used this album as the pre-show warm-up music, when I first saw him play in July '81).

if you don't know the album, it's basically a montage of "found" sounds (political commentators and exorcisms as overheard on radio broadcasts, etc.) cut up and fit to a funky percussive backdrop. it was "sampling" before way before such a thing became common in modern music.

fast-forwarding to now, after being cited as being such an influencial album by musicians of many different genres, it's now been remastered and released with extra tracks and outtakes - information of which you can find here...

http://www.bush-of-ghosts.com/

what is particularly exciting is this announcement on the site...

In keeping with the spirit of the original album, Brian and David are offering for download all the multitracks on two of the songs. Through signing up to the user license, and in line with Creative Commons licenses, you are free to edit, remix, sample and mutilate these tracks however you like. Add them to your own song or create a new one. Visitors are welcome to post their mixes or songs that incorporate these audio files on the site for others to hear and rate. Stay tuned, the remix site is coming soon!

methinks they probably won't offer the track that samples the Quran as a download (indeed, the second pressing of the album didn't even include that track), but personally I'd love to lose myself in a remix of "Mea Culpa" - especially as any errors on my part would be excused by the "lyric"...

7 Comments:

Blogger Lee H. said...

That is so awesome! I love that album- it was one of the first albums I discovered when I became a DJ at my college radio station back in the day. And this remix thing sounds like a BLAST.

6:09 PM, April 13, 2006  
Blogger Lee H. said...

When the remixing part of the website DOES finally go live (I'm surprised it hasn't already- I think I read a mention of it last month), everybody here has to do at least one mix and post it here. We'll start a new thread... that should prove very very cool. :)

7:55 PM, April 13, 2006  
Blogger Rev. Syung Myung Me said...

I bought this record Tuesday (Tuesdays, being record day, have ended up being a traditional thing that my SO and I do -- going to the record shop), and I haven't heard it yet (I never had the original issue, because I kept hearing about an imminent reissue...), but I did flip through the liners a bit, and I thought that not only the releasing of all the tracks for two songs, but also putting them into the Creative Commons is incredibly rad. I know DB's been interested in that stuff for some time, and that Eno's made some comments before in that (in A Year, he mentions that he's probably a bit closer to Negativland's POV w/r/t copyright), so I guess it shouldn't be too surprising that they'd embrace the CC, but hey.

Also, uh, the Quran link doesn't quite work, heh...

8:48 PM, April 13, 2006  
Blogger Lee H. said...

Mea Culpa. [cues drums] My cut and paste skills are lacking tonight, apparently.

The correct link to download "Qu'ran" is here.

That said, after exploring Jeremy's link a bit, I've just orderered the re-issued CD myself- there's a whole album's worth of stuff added to the new version. Excellent! :)

8:57 PM, April 13, 2006  
Blogger Lee H. said...

"orderered"? My cut and paste skills aren't all that's lacking...

8:59 PM, April 13, 2006  
Blogger Rev. Syung Myung Me said...

I'm listening to this for the first time (or, rather, it's almost over), but seriously -- what a great record. I'm completely floored by it. It's not what I was expecting at all -- I was thinking it was going to be more Ambient, but... wow. This is amazing.

I mean, I know this is old news to everyone else in the world, but jeez.

8:55 AM, April 15, 2006  
Blogger Lee H. said...

It's never too late to discover good music! :) That's awesome that ya like it.

11:16 AM, April 15, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home